Test Initialization :
In general STLC can start with Test Initialization. In this stage Product Owner can prepare Test Strategy or Test Methodology or Test Approach. In Sprint / s/w Testing Test Strategies are 3 types such as Exhaustive, Optimal and Ad-hoc.
From testing priciples Exhaustive testing is Impossible and ad-hoc testing is not reasonable. Due to these 2 reasons Testing team will go to optimal testing.
while preparing Optimal test strategy Product owner can follow IEEE829 format. From thaat format we can get bellow fields in Optimal test strategy document:
- Test strategy document Id : Test strategy document id is a unique number or name as a Title.
- Scope & Objective : Importence of testing in current project/product.
- Business Issues : Budget allocation for testing.
- Test Responsibility Matrix (TRM) : Product owner can specify list of testiong topics " TO DO " AND " NOT TO DO ".
- Roles and Responsibilities : Po can define Roles and Responsibilities for scrum team testers.
- Test automation and Testing Tools: PO can decide need for test automation in current sprint testing.
- Defect Reporting and Tracking: PO can decide the process defect reporting andd tracking in between testers and developers.
- Cofiguration Management and Test Management : PoO is responsible to create configuration repositors in server computer which is useful to developers and testers along with Scrum Master to store the daily document.
- Testing Measurement Matrix : Po is responsible to define measurement matrix which are useful to scrum master to estimate efficiency of testers during testing. Example: 15 to 20 test scenarios with cases preparation for day. 10 to 15 test scenarios with cases execution per day. 3 to 5 defects detection per day ..... etc.
- Communication and Status Report :PO can specify the importence of daily scrum meeting and explain about status reporting.
- Training Needed : Po is responsible to identify need for training to testers.
Test Planning :
When Test Strategy was baselined, corresponding Scrum master can start Test planning.
a. Change scrum team if required: Test planning can start with Team level changes if required. In general, Scrum master can try to change developers and testers ratio in scrum team with respect to complexity in user stories.
b. Identify Tractical Risks : After completion of Team Level changes Scrum master can communicate on risks identification.
- Risk-1: Lack of html
- Risk-2: Lack of resorces
- Risk-3: Lack of documentation
- Risk-4: Delays in delivery
- Risk-5; sudden changes in requirements
- Risk-6: Lack of seriousness to developers
- Risk-7: lack of skills
- Risk-8: Lack of communication.
Prepare Test Plan:
After risk ideentification Scrum master can concerntrate on Test Plan preparation in IEEE829 standard format, from this format, Test plan document is haing nellow fields:
- Test plan doc Id: It is Unique number or Name as a title.
- Introduction: About current sprint.
- Features: List of all user stories or modules in current sprint
- Features to be tested : List of modules to be tested in current sprint.
- Features not to be tested : List of modules not to be tested in current sprint.
- Test Strategy : Attach the test strategy given by Product owner.
- Test Environment : Required hardware and software to testers in current sprint
- Test deliverables: Documents to be prepared by testers in current sprint testing.
- Entry Criteria (To start test execution) : Test scenarios, test cases and test data was baselined. Software or sprint released from developers. Test environment was established.
- Suspension Criteria : Test environment was abonded. Show stoppers in sprint. More minor defects in pending.
- Exit Criteria : Time was exceeded. All modules/ features to be tested. All major bugs were closed.
- Staff: Name of testers in scrum team rellated to current sprint testing.
- Responsibilities: Work allocation to selected testers by following module wise allocation or testing topic wise allocation.
- Schedule : Date & time
- Risks and Assumptions: List of previously analyzed risks and solutions to overcome those risks.
- Approvals: Signatures of PO and Stake Holders
Review Test Plan :
After completion of test plan document preparation scrum master can take the operations of scrum team testers and perform changes in planif required, and then Scrum Master can go to approvals from po and Stake holders.
Test Design :
- Study all user stories in sprint backlog: In general Scrum team tester job can start with all user stories in sprint backlog study to unnderstand customer requirements and expectations.
- Preparaion of test scenarios test cases for funtional testing: After completion of documment study, corresponding tester can start test design, in this strategy tester can prepare test scenarios, test cases and test data for responsible modules functional testing.
Test scenario means an activity to be tested. Test case means a condition to be validated in an activity.
While writting Scenarios and cases with test data for responsible modules functional testing, every tester can folloe IEEE829 Test Cases document format:
|Test case doc id||test scenario||priority||test setup||
stepno step description test cases expected output