- Python is general purpose high level programming language.
- Python was developed by Guido Van Rossam in 1989 while working at National Research Institute at Netherlands.
- But officially python was made available to public in 1991. The official date of Birth is:Feb 20th 1991.
The name python was selected from the famous TV show “The complete Monthy python’s circus”, which was broadcasted in BBC from 1969 to 1974.
Where we can use Python :
- For developing desktop applications
- For developing web applications.
- For developing database applications.
- For network programming
- For developing games
- For data analysis applications.
- For machine learning
- For developing artificial intelligence applications.
- For IOT.
Features of Python:
- Simple and easy to learn : python is simple programming language. When we read python program, we can feel like reading English statements. The syntaxes are very simple and only 30+ keywords are available. When compared with other programming languages, we can write programs with less number of lines. Hence more readability and simplicity. We can reduce development and cost of the project.
- Free ware and open source: we can use python software without licence and it freeware. Its source code is open ,so that we can customize based on our requirement.
- High level programming Language: python is high level programming language and hence it is programmer friendly language. Being a Programmer we are not required to concentrate low level activities like memory management and security etc.
- Platform independent: Once we write a python program it can run on any platform without rewriting once again. Internally PVM is responsible to convert into machine understandable form.
- Portability: Python programs are portable. I.e we can migrate from one platform to another plat form very easily. Python programs will provide same results on any platform.
- Dynamically Typed: in Python we are not required to declare type for variables. Whenever we are assigning the value, based on value, type will be allocated automatically. Hence python is considered as dynamically typed language. But C, Java etc are statically typed languages because we have to provide type at the beginning only.
- Both procedure oriented and object oriented : Python language supports both procedure oriented and object oriented features. Hence we can get the benefits of both like security and reusability etc.
- Interpreted : we are not required to compile python programs explicitly. Internally python interpreter will take care that compilation.
- Extensible : we can use other programs in python. The main advantages of this approach are: we can use already existing legacy non-python code. We can improve performance of the application.
- Embedded: we can u se python programs in any other language programs. Ie we can embed python programs anywhere.
- Extensive Library : python has a rich inbuilt library.
Limitations of Python :
- Performance wise not up to the mark because it is interpreted language.
- Not using for mobile applications.